EVROS – MARITZA – MERICH
On June 9th 2001 the chairmen of the two Border Unions – Alliance for border initiatives “Maritza” (Bulgaria) and the Unoin of the border region “Evros” (Greece) signed an agreement for the establishment of the Euroregion “Maritza – Evros”. Later on October 6th 2001 the members of the Border union of the Republic of Turkey – “Merich” joined the Euroregion. Thus the Euroregion “Evros – Maritza – Merich” was written in the register of the Association of the European border regions.
The goal of the members of the three border regions is to realize the cooperation between the three countries at all levels and to enhance the role of the crossborder cooperation as a tool of practical implementation of the four fundamental principles of the European Union – free transfer of products, people, capital and technological know-how.
The activities, planned in the framework of the cross-border cooperation aim at further developing and improving the cultural, social, trade and economic relations between the three members of the Cross-border Union through implementation of joint Programs, regarding the present borders and the national sovereignity, as well as the administrative and economic autonomy of the three countries.
The Trans-regional, Cross-border Union “Evros-Maritza-Merich” is governed by a joint office of the three presidents from the Unoin of the border region “Evros”, Alliance for border initiatives “Maritza” (Bulgaria) and the Border union of the Republic of Turkey – “Merich”.
The target subjects of the Cross-border Union, determined in the Agreement for its establishment are:
- Economic cooperation;
- Urban and rural development;
- Infrastructure and communications
- Environment – Energy;
- Culture – Tourism – Sport;
- Youth – Education – Employment;
- Health and welfare;
- Mutual aid in dealing with special and unexpected situations.
Joint Special Workshops J.S.W., dealing with each subject are established. The members of the J.S.Ws are from different organisations from the three countries .
The executive body of the Eurioregion is the Joint Executive Secretary Office which has offices in Haskovo (Bulgaria), Petrota (Greece) and Edrine (Turkey).
Regular meetings within the framework of the cross-border cooperation will be held aiming at strengthening the social, cultural and economic transactions, using the following methods:
- Cooperation of the non-governmental and non-profit social and cultural bodies, unions and organisations from each region;
- Promotion of mixed companies and cooperation in the fields of technical assistence between the members in the small and medium size companies, commerce, tourism, culture, arts, sports etc.;
- Cooperation for joint actions with third countries and third parties;
- Informing the members about any joint cooperation opportunities that might arise and providing support for the success of the cooperation;
- Promotion of initiatives regarding the participation in trade exhibitions that might be organised by either side;
- Organising of cultural, social, business and commercial conferences and forums.